WebMD is an app that gives you health information with decision-supporting tools. I have to say there’s been times where I’ve truly depend on this app! I’m somewhat of a hypochondriac. I worry about everything. So for me, this WebMDhas really come in handy!
When you open the app, you see the following tabs:
Drugs and Treatments
First Aid Information
Local Health Listings
I, personally, use the Symptom Checker the most! I love it. When opening that tab, WebMD first asks me the age, gender and zip code of the person whose symptoms I’m checking on. Immediately following that information, WebMD shows a picture of the body, asking you to tap the body part where the symptoms are happening. I can pinch to zoom or shake to flip. If you would rather WebMD list the body parts, so you can get more detailed with specific locations, the app does offer to list them out, as well! It also offers general and skin symptom categories. Wondering about a rash on my legs, I chose the skin category. I was asked a few questions, then given different conditions it could be. Even seeing the listed conditions, put my mind to rest. We also used it for my boyfriend. He had a spot on his scalp that wasn’t irritated, but it was pink-ish and a little raised, but the most noticeable thing was that it was very flaky! I looked up flaky skin, and WebMD asked me the location of the flakes and if it was scaly, silvery and red. It was pink-ish and scaly, but not silver! I figured two out of three is pretty good, so I clicked it. WebMD listed out a few different things including Psoriasis, Eczema, Blepharitis and a few simple things like dandruff, dry skin, sunburn and wind exposure. WebMD let me click on each condition, which took me to a full page that gave many details on each condition! It was very cool and extremely educational. After reading through all the conditions, we figured it was either Psoriasis or Eczema. I made a doctor appt for him with a dermatologist. They did some tests, and guess what! It was Psoriasis. Because we had read up on this condition prior to the doctor’s appointment, we were both knowledgeable enough to ask some good questions about care and medications. It was so nice to have a good amount of knowledge ahead of time. Because of WebMD, we were prepared! The Symptom Checker is just one of the many features WebMD offers. Check it out!
iTunes lists WebMD’s features as such:
- WebMD Symptom Checker – n Select the part of the body that is troubling you, choose your symptoms, and learn about potential conditions or issues.
- First Aid Essentials – Your handy guide for medical emergencies. From insect stings to broken bones, helpful treatment tips are always available, even without an Internet connection.
- Conditions – Find medically reviewed information about Conditions relevant to you and learn more about causes, treatments, and related symptoms.
- Drugs & Treatments – Search our extensive database for information on Drugs, Supplements, and Vitamins. Access content such as Uses, Side Effects, Warnings, and more.
- Pill Identification Tool – Identify your prescription drugs and over the counter medicines by pill shape, color, & imprint.
- Local Health Listings – Find the closest physician, hospital, & pharmacy based on your current location or search by city, state or zip.