Growing up, we use to play card games all the time! UNO, Skipbo, Go Fish, Phase 10 – You name it, we played it! As all these remakes of games come out on tablets and smartphones, I am always a little leery about trying them out in fear that they won’t be as good as the original. So far, none of them have let me down. If you read my review about Tetris the other day, it’s proof that these great classic games are being remade into a digital format that is nothing short of impressive. I’d been looking over the top games for the last few days and decided to give UNO a try.
With UNO™ HD By Gameloft, you can play the classic card game on your iPad in HD! You can actually play UNO™ HD with up to four players gathered around a single iPad using the One Device Multiplayer mode or you can each play on your own device as long as your hooked up to a local Wi-Fi. Since, I downloaded UNO™ HD, I have been playing it as a single player, which gives you up to three computer generated players to join the fun. It’s pretty entertaining! However, I did need to read through the Help section just to make sure I had all the settings right.
You can make UNO™ HD personal with your own user Profile by giving your name, choosing a color theme and an icon! This is especially helpful for the online multi-player function. I had fun setting up my profile, and I even made my little avatar a pink girl! With the graphics being in HD, they we’re crisp, sharp and really popped out of the screen. With as much detail as the cards had, there was no lag. Swiping the cards or double tapping ‘to select’ was easy and fast! It really kept the game moving.
iTunes describes the app as follows:
THE CLASSIC CARD GAME
- The #1 card game for fun with friends and family with the game’s classic identity and rules that are easy enough for anyone to understand!
- All your favorite Action Cards are here: Wild, Reverse, Draw 2 and the rest!
UNIQUE MULTIPLAYER MODES
- Play multiplayer with up 3 friends gathered around a single iPad, or with everyone using their own devices connected locally via Wi-Fi.
- Gameloft LIVE! support: Go online to play 24/7 with people from all over the world (through Wi-Fi connection).
CUSTOMIZE YOUR GAME
- The game allows you to customize the rules and discover many new ways to play UNO™, like “UNO 7-0”, “UNO Challenge”, and “Jump In”.
- Progress through increasingly difficult challenges in Tournament mode to collect prizes and unlock up to 8 colourful deck themes to give the game a fresher look.
The game works well on the iPad’s spacious screen. There’s plenty of room for 4 players on screen. As with many other iPad games that are multi-player, the screen becomes cramped and takes away from gameplay and overall user experience. That was not the case with UNO™ HD.
I think UNO™ HD (in the One Device Multiplayer mode) would be a great game to play on a long road trip with a bunch of friends! It’s would be easy, and you could pass it back and forth. It’s suitable for kids and adults!