Podcasts by Apple is a good way to listen to your favorite podcasts, as well as discover new ones. It’s a center for finding, downloading, storing and playing content that you can download and stream. The app lets you explore hundreds of thousands of audio and video podcasts for free! They are sorted by topic, so it’s easy to find your interests.
Before downloading Podcasts, I did read a few reviews. If you’ve done the same, you already know Podcasts’ rating is extremely low – with its current version getting a 1.5 star rating from over 7,000 users. I downloaded the app for three reasons – one reason being because it was developed by Apple, another because it was free and lastly because it was at the tippy top of the app charts ranking as the #3 top free app! What’s to lose?
After playing with Podcasts for a while, I realized that users expect way more than the app gives. It’s not very user friendly, and it doesn’t even have a playlist function. What the app does do is allow you to browse and subscribe to free episodes in the podcasts catalog or top stations. Are there better podcasting apps? Yes, there are. I think people just expected more out of an app made by Apple. If you’re looking for a podcasting app, download Instacast instead. It has a perfect setup, syncing all your subscriptions between your iPhone, iPad and iPod. It even sends you push notifications when a new episode is available! I download Podcasts because it doesn’t cost anything. In this case, I basically got what I paid for.
iTunes lists Podcasts’ features as such:
- Enjoy all of your audio and video podcasts in a single app.
- Explore hundreds of thousands of podcasts including shows in over 40 languages.
- Try the innovative new Top Stations feature to find new podcast series in a variety of topics, including arts, business, comedy, music, news, sports, and more.
- Browse by audio or video podcasts, or see what’s most popular in Top Charts.
- Tap Subscribe for your favorites and automatically receive new episodes for free as they become available.
- Stream episodes or download to listen while offline.
- Skip forward and back using simple playback controls.
- Turn on Sleep Timer to automatically stop playing a podcast while listening in bed.
- Share your favorite episodes with friends using Twitter, Messages, and Mail.
- Optionally sync your favorite episodes from iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- Sync your episode playback for seamless transition between devices.