Languages by Sonico GmbH is a brand new reference app that was just released last week. I guess I should start off by saying how I seem to always be amazed when I see foreign words transformed into words I can understand! It’s just impressive! Well Languages does that and more! Not only can this app instantly translate over 12 different languages, but it can do so without an internet connection! That’s absolutely incredibly by anyone’s standards! Do you have any idea how much content this app is actually holding? It has to be colossal!
Languages’ setup is pretty cool. As soon as you open up the app, you’re shown a bookshelf with 12 books sitting on it – one book for each language the app can translate! At the very bottom of the shelf, you’ll see a book labeled “Options”. This is where you can get help, give feedback, rate or share the app and much more!
Languages lets you look up any word to see what the correct word would be for the language you want to translate it in. The words you’re searching for can be looked up in alphabetical order, or you can just type them into the search box. The search box is the quickest way to find the word you’re looking for, but scrolling through the list is a great way to learn! Languages is great reference app for a traveler like me!
iTunes lists Languages’ many features as such:
- Offline translation. Most translation apps require an internet connection. Languages stores all words on the phone itself so you always have translation when you need it, whether you are traveling internationally or simply don’t have a connection.
- Lightning fast. Start typing a few letters and boom, you already have the translation you need.
- Unified search. Type a word from either language and you’ll get the results you want. No more switching modes.
- Search or browse. Search is great but sometimes it’s useful and fun to explore a language by browsing through the words alphabetically.
- Innovative A-Z index for quick browsing.
- Common phrases included for most languages.
12 complete language dictionaries included
- Most offline translation apps charge $5+ for each language pair.
- Tap and hold the index to magnify the letters.
- Swipe to the right to search.
- In search, swipe to the left to go back to the dictionary.
- In search, swipe to the right to clear a search (much faster than reaching for the clear button).
- Pinch to close a language dictionary.
- Tap and hold to move a dictionary on the shelf.
- Tap a word to copy it.
- Tap the flag icon to switch the primary language.