Hurricane by American Red Cross
Hurricane by American Red Cross is a weather app that can really aid you during a hurricane! Hurricane Sandy just passed through the New England area yesterday, and I can’t tell you how useful this little app was to me! I’m from the Midwest, so I’m not use to this type of weather! Hurricane has so many features; I don’t even know where to begin! I guess I’ll start with a few of my favorites! I really love how Hurricane can monitor your area by using your current location. You can even add additional locations to monitor. My mother-in-law lives in Connecticut, so I added her location for monitoring. That way I was not only keeping close tabs on the weather in our area, but also hers. It’s so convenient! The app can even look back 150 years and see how many hurricanes have hit your area in that time frame – teaching you all kinds of history!
Hurricane has a section of the app set up to solely teach you how to prepare for a hurricane. It’s broken up into five sections: right before, during, after, plan ahead and make a plan. Once you’ve studied up, you can even take a test to see just how prepared you are! I think Hurricane by American Red Cross is an app anyone could use, especially for those of you who, like me, haven’t always lived along the coast!
iTunes lists Hurricane’s features as such:
- Step-by-step instructions let you know what to do even before/during/after the storm, even if no data connectivity.
- Monitor hurricane-related weather conditions in your area or those of loved-ones with location-based alerts for the U.S. and its territories from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
- Let family and friends know you are okay with the customizable “I’m Safe” alert for Facebook, Twitter, email and text.
- Find open Red Cross shelters in your area when you need help.
- Stay safe when the lights are out with the Hurricane Toolkit, including a strobe light, flashlight and audible alert functions.
- Prepare for the worst by learning how to assemble an emergency kit for your family in the event of power outage or evacuation.
- Empower your family to stay safe and remain calm in an emergency by learning how to make and practice an emergency plan.
- Earn badges that you can share with your friends and show off your hurricane knowledge with interactive quizzes.
- See an illustrated history of hurricanes in your area.
- Learn the difference between a hurricane warning and watch.
- Know how to what to do about food and drinking water when your area has been impacted by floods and power outages.