City Guides by National Geographic Society is a virtual travel map for some of the world’s most well known cities – London, Paris, Rome and New York! The app comes free with practical travel info like the best times to visit, live weather forecasts, real-time currency exchange rates, measurement conversion tables, as well as “Did You Know” facts for each city! If you upgrade to a city’s full-guide, you can create mapped-out itineraries, browse the ultimate “Do Not Miss” list and explore walking routes chosen by Nation Geographic’s editors. You can purchase the full guide to each city through an in-app purchases of $4.99, or you can buy them all for $12.99.
I really love City Guides’ “Did You Know” facts! They are educational and even fun! I had no idea that in 1912, the survivors of the Titanic stayed at the Jane Hotel until an inquiry was finished. I also didn’t know that in 1919, a French Air Force pilot flew a biplane through the Arc de Triomphe! Such interesting facts that are fun to learn while traveling through the locations they happened in! My favorite section in City Guides has to be the “essentials” tab. It’s where you’ll find statistics, conversions, news and every kind of travel information you could possibly need from street smarts to where you should stay!
City Guides is a pretty incredible traveling tool! The layout is clean, and migration is simple! You get a ton of useful information for free! If you’re traveling to one of these cities, I’d recommend paying the five bucks for the full guide – you won’t regret it! My only wish is that there were more cities. Currently, there are only four. I’m hoping they will add a few more cities within the US – like Los Angels and Chicago!
iTunes describes City Guides like so:
Explore the best of four of the world’s most vibrant cities—London, Paris, Rome, and New York—with City Guides by National Geographic. Included free with each city are local tips, current weather, fun facts, and a selection of iconic photos. Purchase the complete guides for the richest travel experience: curated point-by-point walks, customizable itineraries, city secrets, stunning photo galleries, and much more.
Here’s what you get for free:
- Practical travel information, like when to go, live weather, real-time currency exchange rates, and measurement conversion tables
- Approximately 50 short and shareable “Did You Know?” facts per city
- Favorites section where you can save items you want to remember
- A selection of beautiful and iconic photographs
Upgrade to the paid guides to unlock premium content. Our travel editors have picked only the best places, so you don’t have to wade through all the noise to find exactly what you want to do in each city. With your purchase, you’ll get:
- Walks: Explore the best of each city through mapped routes chosen by National Geographic editors.
- What to Do: We’ve compiled the ultimate do-not-miss list of places to visit, things to see, and experiences to have.
- Photos: Get city-specific tips on taking the best pictures—plus, flip through a larger gallery of stunning city shots.
- My Itineraries: Create and share custom, mapped itineraries.
- Secrets: Get a behind-the-scenes look with little known facts and hidden gems.
As you would expect from National Geographic, you’ll also find easy-to-use maps and gorgeous photography, presented in a simple and elegant interface designed and developed by Rally Interactive. Guaranteed to delight and inform every urban traveler, from the first-time visitor to the seasoned explorer.